Sunday, March 16, 2008

"O REMEMBER, REMEMBER"

In the last General Conference, President Henry B. Erying gave another wonderful talk titled "O Remember, Remember". His words stood out to me more than any other talk that was given that weekend. He talked about when his children were very small he would write down a few things about what happened everyday. Before writing he would ponder this question: “Have I seen the hand of God reaching out to touch us or our children or our family today?” He said that "As I would cast my mind over the day, I would see evidence of what God had done for one of us that I had not recognized in the busy moments of the day. As that happened, and it happened often, I realized that trying to remember had allowed God to show me what He had done." When I first heard that talk, I told myself that I too would start the same type of "gratitude journal" of my own. But of course, life got busy and I put it off, until recently. My sister, who is a great example to me, has done this for a long time. So, I finally decided to follow in her footsteps and do the same. This has made such an impact on my life lately, and I find myself feeling happier, more positive and much more grateful for the little blessings that surround me and that happen every day. I would like to share a few of my many blessings...

MY SWEET LITTLE BOYS: As a new mother, well, going on 15 months now, I have often felt inadequate and unsure of my ability to be the kind of mother that they need and deserve. I still have so much to learn, yet, looking back I have seen how my Heavenly Father has strengthened me and helped me do things that I never thought I could do. I feel so humbled and blessed to have two such special little boys that I can call my own. They brighten up each and every day with their laugh, smiles, kisses and hugs, and I can't imagine how my life was without them in it!!!

THE LOVE OF MY LIFE: I always thought I new exactly what I wanted and needed out of a man...but Heavenly Father proved me wrong by sending me someone exactly opposite! And lucky for me...He was right! Grady is the most perfect man for me! I am so grateful for him and for what a wonderful daddy he is to our boys! He is also such a good example, hard worker, always willing to serve and help others, always so happy and positive, makes me laugh daily, never says an unkind word to anyone, and most importantly loves our Savior. I feel so blessed to have such a good friend and amazing husband.

MY FAMILY: I don't know where to start when it comes to my wonderful, fun, happy family! All I know is that I have been so blessed to have the most amazing 3 sisters, who are all each such a huge example and strength to me. I have also been blessed with 3 fun, awesome bro-in-laws who have always been like brothers...they are the coolest ever! I love all 7 of my nieces and nephews...they each have such a sweet spirit and cute personality and make life so fun! And then there are my parents who I could never express in words how much I love and admire them for who they are, what they've done for me in my life, and the example they've been to so many! They are my heros in every way!

MY MOM AND HER STRENGTH: As most of you may know, my mom was diagnosed with cancer and has gone through many surgeries, radiation and chemotherapy. At first we were told that she wouldn't be here with us much longer, but we have been truly blessed! She has been so strong through all of this! She has never complained, or felt bad for herself and the trial that she has been given, but has always stayed happy, positive, full of life, and has been the one comforting us during our difficulty of getting through this time. She has also continued teaching school and doing all the normal things she used to do! We are so blessed for the miracle of her life and for the example and strength that she is to us! (picture of our head shaving party)


FRIENDS: I have been so blessed throughout my life to have such wonderful, beautiful, amazing friends! Some I have known for many, many years, some I met on my mission and at college, some I have met in our ward, some I have met along the way, and some I am still getting to know. But I love each one of them for being a friend to me, and for the way they lift me up and inspire me to be a better person! There is no better feeling than being and having a true and loyal friend, and I am so grateful for the friends that have touched my life!

RANDOM BLESSINGS: I guess I could make this post go on, and on, and on...but I won't. So, I would like to end by sharing some random blessings. I am so grateful for beautiful sunny days, the beautiful area that we live in, the ability to do and enjoy all the things that I love, Grady's good job and the ability that he has to provide for our family, little blessings that Heavenly Father gives me each and every day, and most importantly the gospel and my Savior. Something that I will write in my journal tonight (because I didn't have time last night), is a huge blessing that we have recently received. I have learned that Heavenly Father is always mindful of us...sometimes he shows it in little ways, and others in big ways! This time it was a bigger way...as many of you know...we have been slaving away since August to get our rental house ready to sell. It hasn't been easy, and it has pretty much taken all of our extra time, energy, both of my arms, and money to do so. Now that we were finally done, we were really nervous about being able to get it sold. But...just last Saturday we put a little Home Depot for sale sign up in the yard, held a dorky little open house on our own, and sold it that same day! I know that He was watching over us and that he knew the position we were in and I am so grateful that we had our prayers answered so quickly. He is truly mindful of us and I hope that we can all follow the words of President Eyring to always remember the ways in which our Heavenly Father is mindful of us!

6 comments:

Coby, Lynette and Kids said...

Wow, you are amazing! I admire you a lot, love the new post.

Anonymous said...

Hey Angela,
I love this post because it's a good reminder to all of us to recognize the blessings that we have. I think we all have a tendency to get too caught up in life and forget. I also seem to have a problem with always focusing on the negative and what's not going my way. You are so cute and such a good example to me!
Love,
Tiff

Moleff Family! said...

Hey girl! What a wonderful post. You are an example to many and it is important to remember our blessings. Your wonderful!!! love ya!

The Burnah Clan said...

Really great reminder. We do need to get together! Especially now that the rental home is sold and you will have more free time!! Great job!

buchanancasa said...

Oh my goodness Angela, this post brought tears to my eyes! What a great reminder to STOP being so busy and just look around with gratitude. You are so awesome. I probably never told you how much Eliza enjoyed your nursery class and I should have, she loved it! Although she always told me Grady would pretend to sleep, what is she talking about? The things kids say. haha

Jamie said...

I loved reading this post. It made me think about all of the MANY blessings that I have, which consequently (is that how you spell that??!)are very similar to yours. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. I had no idea. Cancer is such an ugly thing. She sounds like such an amazing person. I have often wondered that if I was given such a trial, would I handle it as amazingly as it sounds like your mom is. I guess, for now I can only hope that I could be that strong. Let me know if you ever need anything.